Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Welcome!

Hello friends and strangers!

The following is an attempt to catalog my upcoming month as a visitor, student, and researcher in the highlands of Guatemala.

I'm here partly through my university, partly through the NGO Wuqu' Kawoq, and entirely through pure luck. After one conversation with the amazing Masha Polinsky at a department party and a few emails, the ball was off and rolling and (despite not fully believing it myself) I was on my way to Guatemala. Despite never having been south of the US border, and possessing all the Spanish that a few classes in middle school will get you! Hm, who okay-ed this again? My role here is to be a sort of guinea pig/preliminary tester for the upcoming field station that will be collaboration (to the best of my knowledge) between the University of Maryland, Universidad del Valle de Guatemala, and Wuqu' Kawoq.



My first two weeks will be spent in the city of Tecpan, in intensive Kaqchikel language classes. I'll be staying with a local host family, who are speakers of Kaqchikel. The next two weeks, I will be staying with Dr. Pedro Mateo and his wife, Ana, in Patzun. Pedro is the main 'on-site' facilitator of the field station, and linguistics professor at UVG. I'm hoping to shadow him around, check out the to-be-field station, and also do a small pilot-type study (involving field work!) on some aspects of the syntax of Kaqchikel - which is a syntactically ergative language (a quite unusual type.)

So, I hope I can capture some of my adventures and new found knowledge here! I'll try to update as frequently as possible, but time, inspiration, and internet access are always limiting factors.

Ke ri' k'a!
See you later!

1 comment:

  1. Finally I’ve found something that helped me. Thank you.You have done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely share it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.Your topic on 4 Types of Sentencesis very nice and helpful to us.Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete